Re: Response to the Appeal by [...]

2006-07-27 21:18:10
"Mr. Anderson..." (Thanks Dean - I always wanted to say that)

Contracts are funny things.  In contract's from my lay experience, the party
responsible for the creation of the terms of the contract is usually held
accountable for failings in the contract fully. That would mean that the
IETF is 100% responsible for the contract and its pain, and a Court would
likely look at that and in most all instances that I know of, rule in the
favor of the party, not the IETF if there was an issue.

Jorge? Comment? - This is a pretty good tutorial on basic contracts - it
uses New Mexico law and is put on by UNM.
http://jecclassroom.unm.edu/contract_law/ - Look at the UCC section - All
states have adopted their own versions of the UCC and for the most part they
are interchangeable with some very slight deviations (Jorge?)... Also notice
the Parole Evidence Rule and the Statute of Frauds which are not
interchangeable and many people confuse the two of them.

Basics - http://jecclassroom.unm.edu/contract_law/02.htm

---

So - Let me also point out that FWIK if the "IETF's Contract" is
unenforceable then that may include the entire contract which would rescind
the conveyance of the IP to the IETF. And the reason is  - that since there
is no "severability" clause in the current contract agreement, if there is
an issue with the contract - then the whole thing may magically vaporize -
and probably would leave a number of people very upset with the IETF I bet.

The aggregate enforceability of the contract is in my estimate very
questionable at this time. That could potentially also mean that NONE of the
IP that the ISOC thinks it conveyed to the trust is real. Which is really
going to upset some people - Eh Lucy? - the reason is simple - Since
arguably there is no possible contract between the Submitters and the IETF
because of how this contract was created, and no severability clause, and in
fact no statement of venue whatsoever in the conveyance documents - they are
very arguably totally unenforceable...

& BTW - it would be easier to fix this than argue whether its real or not...

My take, as I have said numerous times, is that Jorge needs to put on the
SuperLawyer Suit and draft Contreras-IETF-Contract-01.txt, and it needs to
have all that stuff no one of this group (other than me possibly) wants to
deal with to protect the IETF and the rest of us from each other's
shenanigans..

Todd