Re: administrative question on RFC publications

2006-08-11 10:55:05
At 19:10 11/08/2006, Randy Presuhn wrote:
> Anyone else have commentary on this?

Proceeding as you suggest would provide yet another avenue for
DoS attacks on the process.  No doubt some unscrupulous party
is already contemplating this kind of attack on an extraordinarily
innocuous BCP.

Dear Randy,
I wander who you could have in mind? I am afraid you miss that a BCP is authoritative when approved by the IESG, not when published. At least, this is what you explained us for a key Draft where IETF claimed world leadership and responsibility in a new technical area, with IANA registries potentially so big that a directly concerned leader suggested considering porting the IANA somewhere else if ICANN could not fit the job.

What I ask is not what is people would prefer. I just ask for the RFCs which apply:
- can we favor one Draft over the others: where is that documented?
- can we publish a Draft which is under appeal: where is that documented?

Thank you for your help.
jfc