Re: Last Call: 'Atom License Extension' to Experimental RFC (draft-snell-atompub-feed-license)

2006-08-16 08:16:10

Frank Ellermann wrote:
[snip]
An analogous scenario is when I distribute some piece of open
source software under the Apache license.  The zip I
distribute contains the ASF LICENSE file. It also happens to
contain jars for a number of dependencies from other
projects, all of which are individually licensed.

Okay, but your license would cover something "real" in the zip,
files you have created.  It's not only about your arrangement
of content collected from 3rd parties.  Or is that precisely
the idea of the rel="license" for a feed ?

Yes. I've clarified this in the next draft.  Feed licenses cover the
metadata of the feed including the selection and arrangement of entries.
 For instance, I may put up a service that automatically ranks blog
entries from various sites based on various criteria and produces a feed
that represents the top ten highest ranking entries.

Then folks like me could need a hint that what they really want
is a rel="license" for each of their own entries, because there
is no global default.

Yes, hopefully I've clarified this in the new draft that should be
published shortly.

Thank you for taking the time to review the draft and offer comments.

- James