Re: Now there seems to be lack of communicaiton here...

2006-09-01 06:57:20

Therefore, I propose the following:

(1) Andrew's decision stands.  Under RFC 3777, the only recourse
available
   to anyone who disagrees with that decision would be to ask Andrew to
   reconsider or to file a dispute with the ISOC President.  The former
   has already been done, and so far no reversal has been announced.
   Given that it is now after the close of trading on August 31, I would
   submit that a reversal of this decision by either Andrew or Lynn would
   do more harm than good.

(2) Text is added to the next version of the selection process to
addresss
   this issue.  I would suggest a strengthening of the existing language
   about leaving questionable candidates in the list and rejecting them
   in a later pass.  In fact, it might be wiser to require the use of the
   original list of volunteers as given to the secretariat and _always_
   rejecting ineligible candidates in a later pass.  This would remove
   any need to insure that errors or disputes about eligibility be
   resolved before the random data becomes available.

Jeff,

I agree that this is the best course of action.

I would also like to express my full support for Andrew's
decisions. Due to unfortunate circumstances, he got into
an unanticipated situation. He's being critized for the
decision to re-run the selection; but given that we had
several, not just one problem (timing and ineligible
members) the other options would also have been
problematic. Not an easy position to be in!

--Jari