RE: NOMCOM term limits... Re: Now there seems to be lackof communicaiton here...

2006-09-05 12:31:19
From: Keith Moore [mailto:moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu]

NOMCOM and a non-electoral model are what need to go away -
The IETF
needs to be a place where EVERY  VOICE is heard and counted.

including, presumably, the voices of the incompetent.

The voices that need to be heard most in the IETF are the 95% or more who have
difficulty with the technology foisted upon them.

A century ago car breakdowns were invariably considered the fault of the driver
for failling to maintain their automobile sufficiently. Today we blame the
manufacturer if the car breaks down within the first four years for any reason.
Manufacturers design cars that are expressly designed to deal with users who
are by any standards unreasonable.

Sooner or later those standards are going to apply to the Internet. I want that
to happen sooner and for the IETF to be an enabler of that transformation
rather than an obstacle.