Re: Adjusting the Nomcom process

2006-09-05 12:18:39

--On Tuesday, September 05, 2006 3:10 PM -0400 Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> wrote:

On balance, I think it would be preferable to make candidates'
names public as long as their consent is obtained before doing
so.   Better yet might be to expect all willing candidates to
publicly announce their willingness to serve if chosen.  That
would have several positive effects - it would make the
community aware of the candidate slate, it would invite people
to provide input to NOMCOM about those candidates, it would
make the community aware of areas in which viable candidates
were in short supply.  Yes it could be embarassing to those
not chosen, but if you're going to be on IESG you'll have to
deal with far worse than that.   (being on IAB doesn't seem
quite so bad, but I've never actually done it.)

One thing to watch out for in these proposals is that the Nomcom now has the ability to brainstorm, conclude that person X would be a better candidate for a particular position than any of the already-suggested candidates, and then go out an start twisting X's arm. The idea is particularly important if the Nomcom has an idea that involves reaching outside the usual cluster of suspects or even outside the collection of usual and recent IETF participants. In theory, the Nomcom can reach that conclusion and start the process at a fairly late stage, e.g., after the close of the formal call for nominations/ recommendations.

I gather that this mechanism has not been used often recently, but am not convinced that is adequate reason for discarding it.

While it is probably not impossible to reconcile it with public lists of candidates, reconciling the two might require some effort. How about a specific proposal, folks? You and Dave clearly know how to do that, even if some others who make a lot of postings to this list don't seem to.

   john