Re: Adjusting the Nomcom process

2006-09-05 13:42:01
Dave,

I'm generally happy with the Nomcom process (and I
believe its a better alternative than direct voting).

However, I do agree with you that making the
candidate list public would be useful.

The first reason why I think so relates to fairness.
People tell their colleagues and friends that their
name is on the list. The Nomcom itself sends out
feedback requests to a large number of people,
(particularly after recent advances in tool support).
The set of people who know is not small. Why
not tell the remaining people as well?

The second reason relates to practical
ability for people to provide feedback. Obviously,
if you do not know what the list of candidates
is you will have harder time sending feedback.

Note that publishing the list has
been discussed before and some arguments
have been raised against it. One of those
arguments was that its harder to get
candidates if the process is too public.
Personally, I don't think it is a real
problem.

--Jari