Re: Adjusting the Nomcom process

2006-09-06 03:27:49
From my time on the nomcom I'll register this observation.

Keeping the names secret (or at least obfuscated) makes the process a popularity contest. Not like a high school class president popularity contest, but, putting the nomcom into a passive-mode request for information posture usually only gets input on the popular candidates.

E.g., if Brad Pitt were under consideration for the Hollywood Area and he was up against a little known Joe Blow, the Nomcom might also seek information about Robert Redford and Paul Newman (and others) to throw everyone off the trail that Brad Pitt was up for nomination.

What the nomcom would receive is a lot of data on Paul Newman, Robert Redford (all useless as they were out of the running), and Brad Pitt. And we'd get a lot of "never heard of him" about Joe Blow. So, we'd have data on one and not the other. Not very useful.

So, not publishing the names seems to hinder the process. At least in that one respect.

My understanding about the policy of not publishing names is that we don't want to hurt the feelings of folks passed over when the criteria is so poorly defined. I'm rather surprised that an organization that prides itself on openness is too shy to name names when selecting folks for a volunteer position.

With poorly defined criteria, how can it be embarrassing to be passed over?

I don't think it makes much of a difference in the outcome of the nomcom if names are published or not. (OTOH it is yet another perennial issue to blow bits on a mailing list about.) How about we just try it once and see what happens - all that stuff about running code and other slogans we used to go by?

Let's stop chattering about bureaucratic processes and return to trying things.