Re: Crisis of Faith - was Re: Adjusting the Nomcom process

2006-09-11 16:59:15
Hi Ted -

I've tried to stay out of this, since there has been too much comment.
But, I'd like to amplify your point and some others I've heard.

1. I'm offended by Todd's repeated implication that Brian has lied
to the IETF.  That is an ad hominen attack and goes well beyond
the stated purpose of this mailing list.

2. If somebody wants to change the way the nomcom process works,
they should do what we did when the system was put in place: write
a document and get consensus.  The IETF is all about running code,
and that includes "business processes."  An I-D is the first step.
Repeated attempts to bypass the process (e.g., by making up policy
on the fly and posting it to the IETF list instead of writing an
I-D) goes well beyond the stated purpose of this mailing list.

3. Repeated threats of legal actions, invocations of Jorge, and
other tactics meant to bully participants do not qualify as
reasoned discourse and do not contribute to the stated purpose
of this mailing list.

I would encourage our sergeant at arms and our leadership to take
more active steps to keep discussion on the general mailing list
on track.  At the very least, discussants should be actively enouraged
to move their discourse to more specialized mailing lists.

Regards,

Carl