Re: Adjusting the Nomcom process

2006-09-08 08:04:50

Dave Crocker wrote:
2.  The nomcom is independent of the IESG and the IAB.  Hence,
consultation with either of them, for deciding how to resolve
nomcom problems, creates an inherent conflict of interest.

If that had happened, it would have been a CoI. As Leslie and I already made clear, it didn't.

I am sorry, Brian, but we have fundamentally different understandings of the concept of "to consult"(*):

Leslie Daigle wrote:
> Brian & I were on the cc list of one complaint; we certainly
> agreed the situation needed addressing.

and

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Full disclosure: My personal opinion, which I *did* give to Lynn and
> Andrew when I became aware of this glitch, is that a reset is the only
> way to be certain that the selection process is unbiased.

These indicate that you were consulted and you responded.

I think that you are confusing the meaning of "to consult" with "to decide".

The idea that your providing input to the process of resolving the error had no potential conflict does not match my understanding of concerns about CoI.

d/

(*)  American Heritage Dictionary: "1.a.  To seek advice or information".
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking