Re: Adjusting the Nomcom process

2006-09-06 02:52:10
On Sep 6, 2006, at 5:58, Sam Hartman wrote:
"Jari" == Jari Arkko <jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net> writes:

    Jari> Dave, I'm generally happy with the Nomcom process (and I
    Jari> believe its a better alternative than direct voting).

    Jari> However, I do agree with you that making the candidate list
    Jari> public would be useful.

Me too.

I agree.

There might be ways to experiment with this idea during future NomCom cycles. For example, all candidates for a particular position can be asked whether they'd be OK with having their name publicly listed. If all candidates for a position agree, the list of candidates for this position becomes public. If one or more disagree, the whole list for a position remains private. (In the latter case, the names of the candidates who disagreed also needs to remain private.)

Hopefully, the candidate list for one or more positions would become public in this way, and the NomCom can decide whether they get higher- quality feedback on the candidates for these positions. If yes, that'd argue for making all candidate lists public in the future.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories