Re: [Ltru] IANA XML registries

2006-09-21 07:04:25
At 11:28 21/09/2006, Martin Duerst wrote:
Hello David,
At 02:52 06/09/21, David Conrad wrote:

>Internally, we use subversion for version control.  It would be
>relatively straight forward for us to provide an opt-in mailing list
>that broadcasts the contextual diffs of any registry update.  We can,
>of course, also look at other alternatives people might suggest.

If you use subversion internally already, the best way to allow
differential updates would be to make subversion available publicly.
I understand that it would have to be considered carefully,
but it's really the protocol designed for the job.

Also, as an alternative to mail broadcasts, I'd suggest using
Atom (RFC 4287).

Regards,     Martin.

Dear Martin,
David's choices in this matter will:

- either keep the IANA as the Internationalised IETF Externet referent, with external interoperability managed elsewhere. In that case knowing that IANA is internally stable and possibly documented in a formated unique way, will certainly help such external management(s) and keep the IANA as a serious referential partner.

- or engage the IANA in a comprehensive evolution making it either the core referent of the whole digital ecosystem or a part of its distributed referent system (through ISO 11179 conformace or along an IETF published networked/multilingual equivalent [two areas not addressed yet as such by the JTC1]).

I know that your WG has a particular role into this due to the size (and therefore access problem) scaling of your registry. I am glad that one of the main reason of my opposition to your WG proposition is at last (18 months) seriously discussed. However, I think this issue concerns the whole IETF and actually the whole Internet community. I suspect that David's resources are limited and that his first orentations may engage our all future. I suggest that this calls for common attention and IAB guidance, as when the NTIA also planed to reconsider the IANA.

jfc