Re: [Ltru] IANA XML registries

2006-09-20 05:35:22
At 02:41 20/09/2006, David Conrad wrote:
Yes, IANA is undertaking to convert all our registries over to XML.
We'll be doing this in an incremental fashion of course, starting
with a few of the simpler registries, getting feedback from people,
revising and doing more registries, getting feedback, etc. until
everything is converted over.  Part of this project will also be to
generate "legacy" registries from the XML in formats that are as
close to what exists now as we can easily manage (in an undoubtedly
vain attempt to try to limit the screams of outrage from the poor
souls who have hacked software to deal with the existing registries).

We anticipate having the first set of registries (and various backend
systems we use internally) done by sometime around the beginning of
2007.  A more formal announcement of this effort will probably be
made at the San Diego IETF.  I'm happy to answer any questions folk
might have...

Dear David,
this is good news! Do you have a completion date in mind? Do you take advantage of this to make them ISO 11179 conformant? Will it be organised as a computable ontology? Will you adopt a Dublin Core approach? Will you include a secure update announcement list? Will you include a consistency check solution for comparing two versions of a registry? Will you include a daily distributed status of these checks to avoid millions of unnecessary down loads. Will you include a single IANA procedure for registry management and review (mailing list, reviewer, appeals, cross registry consistency, CVS). Will you support a multilingual approach? Have you planned a distributed dissemination mechanism? Have you planned a procedure/hooks for personal extensions?

All this fits in our own MDRS project (multilingual distributed referential system) delayed for to years by the interoperability of its langroot core building block. We need to know if we can avoid to build a duplicate system and may rely on an IETF/IANA standardised one, avoiding to go "somewhere else" as proposed by Harald, specially to support the size and the load of the language registries he discusses (when the first langtags consistency checkers make a wget of the IANA Languages registry - soon a 1000 pages file).

I repeat my suggestion of an IETF WG-MDR to address a generalised registry management doctrine, the IANA would be the test-bed in the testing way you describe, with the entire IETF community to pile expertise and experience over it.
Cheers.
jfc