Looking forward not back

2006-09-22 13:45:22
"Scott" == Scott Bradner <sob(_at_)harvard(_dot_)edu> writes:

    Scott> It's not hard to see why the newtrk chair (me) decided that
    Scott> newtrk had no real future unless we happend to come up with
    Scott> something that the IESG liked (without the IESG members
    Scott> providing much help figuring out what they might like)

Scott, John, we can choose to be bitter and to look back at past
failures or we can choose to be constructive and look forward.

If you believe Brian made the wrong consensus call, then say so and
get others to say so.

Otherwise, please get over newtrk and move on and find some way of
being constructive.  I'm sure we could all tell all the possible
different sides of the newtrk story.  Some would make the IESG look
bad; some would make the chair look bad; some would be just very sad
and disappointing.  But at the end of the day, we'd be more grumpy,
more disheartened, and have solved nothing.  I can play that game if
you want to, but I think it pointless.

If you'd like to work with the IESG or specific IESG members to
 improve their communications styles, to understand what they tried to
 say, or to suggest ways that they as individuals or the IESG as a
 group could be more constructive in the future, please do so.  I know
 I would be interested in having a two-way dialogue with you, John or
 any of the other newtrk participants on those issues.  MIT's not that
 far away; we all have phones, email and jabber.  I've already had
 such a dialogue with Eliot and at least from my standpoint I found it
 enlightening.  However, the IETf list is not a useful venue for
 helping either IESG members or working group chairs engage in
 personal development.  Instead, it tends to encourage defensiveness,
 blame, and a lot of other things that do not actually accomplish our
 goals of building a better Internet.

--Sam