Re: RFC/Protocol Quantification

2006-09-22 08:31:14
Sreevathsa wrote:

something like, 93% of TCP implementation on this server is
in agreement with RFC 793 and 7% of it is not!

Ticky, who cares about 80% if it works, or 99% if it doesn't ?

components that I was thinking about are:

1. Packet structure
2. Query format
3. State transitions

For modern RFCs you'd also have a bunch of 2119-keywords.

If you have any ideas, I will be very much willing to know
about it.

A hard part is to get an agreed upon conformance test suite.

And then do something with "inconclusive" outcome.  One case
where "93%" results were not plain nonsense was the "good
newsreader seal of approval" (or similar), but that wasn't
strictly based on RFCs, it's input for a draft.

Frank