RFC/Protocol Quantification

2006-09-21 22:39:23
Hi Group,
I was thinking about methods to quantify the conformity of a
protocol's implementation to its RFC. What could be the possible
metrics that I could consider while quantifying the conformity of any
protocol's implementation to its RFC?

Let me make myself more clear with an example: Lets say I am
validating a particular TCP implementation on a server. I need to see
how much of the TCP implementation is in accord with RFC 793. After
the analysis of implementaion, once I know what parts of the RFC is
implemented and what part of it is not, I need to come up with a
number and say
something like, 93% of TCP implementation on this server is in
agreement with RFC 793 and 7% of it is not!

So to quantify like this, I should have some metrics to weigh a given
RFC. Does anyone have any idea as to how any given RFC could be
divided into various components and then assigned a weightage which
could then be used as a reference to check other implemenations??

Some of the components that I was thinking about are:

1. Packet structure
2. Query format
3. State transitions

If you have any ideas, I will be very much willing to know about it.

---------
Thanks,
Sreevathsa