Re: Last Call: 'Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain)

2006-09-27 00:24:58
Frank Ellermann wrote:
Fred Baker wrote:

 ["domain suffix"]

It is the new-speak for use when all us ancient geeky types
would prefer "TLD".

It's what a client might add to it's hostname to form an FQDN. Typically also used as domain search path by many systems if no explicit search path is specified. Often also called "domain name".

I thought it's some new kind of DHCP builtin DynDNS service.

If it's a TLD I'm perplexed why that would ever change for a
given DHCP server.  And for clients of different servers the
TLD isn't enough to know where they are.

For a given DHCP server and a given client, this would normally not change. The draft doesn't say that it might change either. However, a given server might give different domain suffices to different clients.

Stig

Confused: Frank