Re: Last Call: 'Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain)

2006-09-27 02:40:21
Stig Venaas wrote:

In the context of this draft, the term domain suffix is not
meant to be just the TLD. If "domain suffix" generally means,
or is thought of as, just the TLD, then the draft should use
some other term instead.

The term is okay if you mention that it's supposed to be one
or more labels, typically at least two.

Frank would end up with xyzzy.de, which is probably not what
is intended.

xyzzy.claranet.de also won't work, I could screw up and try a
host name used by another claranet.de customer, or vice versa.
The suffix has to be unique.

Maybe it's the same as gethostbyaddr() with a wildcard ?  So
at the moment I'm xyzzy.dnsalias.org = 217.251.168.208, that's
pD9FBA8D0.dip0.t-ipconnect.de, and if that would be a suffix I
could use xyzzy.pD9FBA8D0.dip0.t-ipconnect.de

Clearly not the same as DynDNS, if that's how the suffix works.
It would be also a dubious idea to use this in Message-IDs for
popular host names like "oemcomputer".

If it's no wildcard, does the client get a complete zone for
anything ending with the suffix ?  With IPv4 I'd guess that
we're talking about one IP and one host, but with IPv6...

Frank