Re: Last Call: 'Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain)

2006-09-27 08:44:06

Bill Fenner wrote:
While I was confused too as to what this option is intended to be used
for, I think that

  The domain suffix in the 'domain suffix' field ...
   MUST be encoded as specified in the section of RFC3315
  titled "Representation and use of domain names".

sufficiently specifies the encoding of the <domain suffix> field.

as John noted, the term "item" is not defined, so we don't know how many labels (dns fields) are permitted. This certainly encourages the confusion between TLD and "organization base".

I'm also a tad uncomfortable with the levels of indirection in the cited reference. The 3315 section really points to a section in 1035, modulo prohibiting compressed form. The cited section in 1035 defines a basic syntax but then relies on a different section in 1035. This all seems likely to invite different interpretations.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking