Re: Last Call: 'Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain)

2006-09-27 08:12:24

John C Klensin wrote:
Dave, unfortunately, if "suffix" is formally defined, I haven't
been able to find it.

Right.

I was not intending to suggest that the specification was acceptable, and apologize for not making that clear.

I was merely noting that the construct only made sense in terms of an organization "base" domain name, rather than a TLD.

So it is a number of anchored right-hand fields, rather than only containing the single, right-most-field.

As you and other note, the specification is critically flawed.

At the least:

1. It fails to define the semantics of "suffix".

2. It does not specify any syntactic detail for the <domain suffix> field of the DHCP option. Is it a dotted ascii string? Some other encoding?

It is, IMO, just not acceptable for a standards-track document
to leave the interpretation of terms like "suffix" and "item" up
to the imagination of the reader when their definitions are key
to the implementation of the specification.

+1

d/
--

  Dave Crocker