Re: Last Call: 'Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain)

2006-09-27 10:05:33
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Fred Baker wrote:
On Sep 26, 2006, at 1:15 PM, Frank Ellermann wrote:

Sorry, probably that's all obvious, but where is ["domain suffix"]
defined ?

At the Verisign site. It is the new-speak for use when all us ancient
geeky types would prefer "TLD".

I fail to see the relevance of invoking VeriSign.  Your cheap shot is
unfounded: a Google search for '"domain suffix" site:verisign.com'
yields one page, where the two words don't even appear together.

Microsoft has actually used the term "domain suffix" in the context of
its stub resolver search list for years--it goes back several versions
of Windows.  But in this context, the term can refer to any domain
name, not just TLDs.  So while it's not a term that I use, it has been
around for some time.

Matt