Due process [Re: [Nea] WG Review: Network Endpoint Assessment (nea)]

2006-10-12 03:01:41
Noel Chiappa wrote:
    > From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb(_at_)cs(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu>

    >> it is better that we aren't copied because to do so would be unfair to
    >> the complainer(s).

    > As much as I've sparred with Glassey in the past ... I think he's right
    > in this case. In my opinion, any sort of disciplinary action needs to
    > be *perceived* as fair. ... I think we do need to follow due process.

I'm going to disagree with you on this. My reasoning is that the decision of
whether or not to suspend should be based almost entirely on the target
person's posts, so the identity (and, indeed, the number) of people
complaining is basically irrelevant.

I see no failure of due process in the Sergeants At Arms stating that
they have received a number of complaints about messages which were sent
to a couple of thousand people. It isn't as if the complainers were
making an attack on the sender of the messages; they were complaining
that the messages were disrupting normal discussion on the list. Such
complaints don't need to be public in order to be valid.

I don't want to substitute my judgement for that of the Sergeants;
but I think they have done the right thing.

    Brian