RE: DNS pollution

2006-10-23 19:27:15
I agree.  For me personally, this was not hypothetical.  The
Pine mail user agent that I use began to intermittently fail
to connect to the IMAP server even when there was no evidence
of problems with network connectivity.  The problem turned
out to be DNS fraud.

I use ssh to connect over DSL service from Earthlink, and
port forwarding to get to the IMAP server.  That means Pine
needs to connect to 127.0.0.1 on the forwarded port number.
I don't know why, but Pine does a DNS lookup on 127.0.0.1.

Stop right there. You have a buggy application. You loose. Tough.

If you have buggy applications you should fix them. You should not raise the
buggy behavior at the IETF, ICANN or inter-ISP level as an urgent problem.

There is limited bandwidth and much better things for all these bodies to be
doing with their time.

We have a real problem with Internet Crime that is causing rather more problems
than your buggy mailer.