Re: draft-kolkman-appeal-support

2006-10-14 10:18:48
Michael Thomas wrote:

John C Klensin wrote:
...The only folks who need to look for supporters are those who have appealed before and whose appeals have been rejected as without merit.

Can an appeal be rejected with merit?

Certainly.

A simplistic created-on-the-spot example:

The IETF publishes RFC 8214, on "Lessons Learned About Hosting an IETF
Social", whereupon Ima Complainer appeals specification 8.3.2a
"Construction of Corkscrews"  because it includes the verbage "Threads
must be right-handed, ie, the screw must travel INTO the cork when the
handle is turned clockwise."

Appeal one:
  "I represent Bob's Hardware Company (henceforth BHC), which has been
making left-handed corkscrews for 300 years, and they work fine.  All of
our customers prefer them, saying that our tools are the best they have
ever found.  Why are you suddenly making our standard product
'non-standard'?"

Rejection of Appeal one:
  "The IESG has determined that BHC is a traditional supplier of tools
designed specifically for left-handed users.  As such, we find that BHC
is an exception to the "general use" of these standards.  The appeal has
merit, but is rejected."

Appeal two:
  "Everyone in the IETF Social Planning Work Group has blue eyes, and as
such cannot be trusted.  Please push RFC 8214 back until we can get some
brown-eyed engineers on this WG."

Rejection of Appeal two"
   "The IESG has reviewed several personality to eye color studies, and
has been unable to find any correlation between eye color and integrity.
 The appeal is rejected as being without merit."

It might make sense to have a ruling something like, "any participant
can appeal any IETF document or decision, with the following limit:  The
 body appealed to may, at it's discretion, refuse to accept an appeal if
the appealer has had more appeals rejected without merit than all other
results."

This means that, if more than half of your appeals were RWOM, they _may_
refuse to hear you.  Nothing keeps you from getting someone else to
appeal for you.  It's just that, if someone with no history does this
for you, and it is RWOM, then they are 1 to 0, themselves.

Are we simply formalizing a reputation system here?  Don't we have
better things to do?

--
Unable to locate coffee.
Operator halted.