Re: draft-kolkman-appeal-support

2006-10-14 00:16:03
Ned,

I am torn with the proposal.  On the one hand, I am sympathetic to DDOS
attacks on the process.  On the other hand, I agree with you that
serious contributors need a way to appeal decisions.  In particular, I
don't like the need to require support from additional serious members,
and I would only support that if other avenues failed.

If we look by analogy at the legal system (always a hazardous thing), we
see that there are often special rules in place when it comes to access
to the courts for those who have been judged vexatious litigants.  We
could do something similar.  While that alone doesn't prevent me from
creating an anonymous email address and filing an appeal, some rule
around that plus some indication of previous participation would be
useful.  So I would include a very liberal set of people, like those who
have ever attended an IETF or produced an RFC or have been published in
ACM, IEEE, USENIX, SAGE, and or some other list of credited networking
organizations.  If you've shown that you've contributed to the community
in some meaningful way then we should give you the benefit of the doubt.

Eliot