Re: draft-kolkman-appeal-support

2006-10-15 15:08:13
Harald Alvestrand wrote:

- "No problem, here's the pointer to my CV, here's 5 people who know
both of us personally, if you need a copy of my driver's license just
send me the fax number to send it to, what else can I do to help?"

That "no problem" is a problem.  If I manage to create a JPG of some
obscure document and send it to the IETF secretariat, what are they
supposed to do with it ?  For a German passport I could attach an URL
with "roll your own ID" instructions.  Otherwise I could send them some
Google search results "indicating" that I'm at least persistent, with a
slight preference for two "n" at end of my name.

If the secretariat goes to that trouble it should have more benefits,
e.g. coupled with a NomCom "population" list of all folks who went to
one of the last three IETF meetings.  Or with a list of mail addresses
used to submit I-Ds.  Or a way to send messages to authors using a
persistent URL or address (published in the I-D or RFC) and working
ten years later if the author still cares.

"Single login" could be used for lots of IETF services, but it's not
cheap.  Known services could cover "has a banking account" (but as long
as they don't try money laundering sock puppets can have many accounts)

"For religious/political/conscience reasons I refuse to give out my
identity to anyone, so rather than violate my r/p/c belief, I'll
withdraw from the case.

Well, I've given up my Wikipedia account, deciding that their system is
not good enough for my believes, and that it can't be fixed.  The draft
in the subject line is worse.  On the other hand improving Brian's I-D
should be simple:  It might need something more substantial against any
"vexatious litigation", and one statement trying to forbid other ways
to appeal dubious decisions should be removed.

BTW, folks trying to write appeals can also learn to write drafts, if
you want to throttle appeals you might also need something similar for
publication requests (?)  Maybe simply demand that appeals - and while
we're at it interop reports - have to be formatted and published as I-D,
huge PDFs with the decent charme of "I could print my mail" are a pain.

Frank