Re: draft-kolkman-appeal-support

2006-10-14 15:21:21

> - supporters are willing to offer proof of identity to a
> secretariat function of the IETF

...difficult, it reminds me of Usenet CSVs.  What do you have
in mind, a phone number offered for a verification call ?  They
would need to support different plausibility checks wrt WP:SOCK
In a quite specific situation I was involved with, several supporters of an "alternate" viewpoint offered to make verification calls.
Unfortunately they all had the same telephone number.....

I find that generally the reaction from claimed identities falls into one of three distinct categories:

- "No problem, here's the pointer to my CV, here's 5 people who know both of us personally, if you need a copy of my driver's license just send me the fax number to send it to, what else can I do to help?" - "For religious/political/conscience reasons I refuse to give out my identity to anyone, so rather than violate my r/p/c belief, I'll withdraw from the case. However, I understand your reasoning and respect your refusal to admit me as a party to the case." - "mumble, mumble, mumble, civil rights, mumble, mumble, mumble, of course I am a separate person, mumble, mumble, mumble, what do you mean, how do you prove that you're not Bill Clinton, mumble mumble, what is this identity thing anyway?"

What I draw as conclusions from these 3 case should be obvious; I'm a little unhappy about not getting the full value of the input from the second class of people, but to the third class I say "good riddance".

                     Harald