Re: draft-kolkman-appeal-support

2006-10-14 02:52:16
Frank Ellermann wrote:
Perhaps he could be also convinced to trash his draft.  I've
trashed an "3710-obsolete" draft (before publication - luck).

9/10 of all drafts are trashed by the quite effective mechanism of waiting 6 months... no need for dramatic action.....

that said, I'd be happy if the requirements were:

- supporters are distinct human beings
- supporters are willing to offer proof of identity to a secretariat function of the IETF

I might even toss in "has contributed to at least one IETF mailing list he's subscribed to".

The important point (to me) would be to shift appealants from a mode of "I am the lone voice of reason - if I am allowed to carry my arguments forward in front of a higher body, Truth and Justice will prevail" to a mode where appealants think "I need to check with a few other people that I'm right before progressing - perhaps my arguments are not compelling, or perhaps I even might be wrong".

It may cause reasonable people who are upset to think twice, and should rarely block an appeal where there's a real dissent in the community.

(I leave it up to people's memories to recover which specific cases the conditions above are intended to address...)

               Harald