Re: DNS pollution

2006-10-12 15:45:39
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Edward Lewis wrote:
At 23:37 -0700 10/11/06, Stephen Casner wrote:

connect to 127.0.0.1 on the forwarded port number.  I don't know why,
but Pine does a DNS lookup on 127.0.0.1.  My problems arose when the

Sounds like an application layer implementation defect.  The problem
could be solved by reporting the bug to the developers.

I have now been informed that if I had enclosed the 127.0.0.1 in
square brackets then Pine would not looked it up as a name.

This potential for misinterpretation has probably not been seen as a
problem because on many systems the DNS resolver will recognize the
string as an address rather than a name and not do a forward lookup.
The system on which this problem was observed was Windows-98.

                                                        -- Steve