Re: DNS pollution

2006-10-12 23:34:46

On 11Oct 2006, at 7:03 PM, Keith Moore wrote:

In the past month or so I've run across two separate ISPs that are apparently polluting the DNS by returning A records in cases where the authoritative server would either return NXDOMAIN or no answers. The A records generally point to an HTTP server that will display advertisements, but I've also seen more sinister things happen.

Is there anything that IETF as an organization, or IETF participants, can do to discourage this? To me this is fraud and unfair trade practice in addition to being a security threat (as people give their passwords when trying to connect to the wrong site) and harmful to applications (either because they do connect to a protocol engine on the wrong server, or they try to connect to a nonexistent protocol engine on the wrong server and treat the "connection refused" or "connection timed out" condition as a temporary error). I've also seen this break applications that speak both IPv4 and IPv6 by failing to return the AAAA records.

I'm willing to write a draft explaining in detail why this is harmful, but somehow I think it will take more than just an RFC to get this practice stopped.

Dear colleagues,

The IAB is working on a draft on transparency issues. It will appear shortly in the I-D repository. That document contains a paragraph about this issue:

2.5.  DNS Namespace Mangling
   In [RFC2826] the technical arguments for a unique root were
   presented.
   One of the premises in [RFC2826] is that a common symbol set, and
   common semantics applied to these symbols, is needed for effective
   communication between two parties.  The document argues that this
principle can only be met when one unique root is being used and when
   the domains are maintained by single owners or maintainers.
   Because [RFC4084] targets only on IP service terms and does not talk
   about namespace issues, it does not refer to [RFC2826].  We stress
   that for proper IP service the use of a unique root for the DNS
   namespace is essential.
   Since the publication of [RFC2826] there have been reports that
Internet service providers implement recursive nameservers and/or DNS
   forwarders that replace answers that indicate that a name does not
exist in the DNS hierarchy by a name and an address record that hosts
   a webservice that is supposed to be useful for end-users.
   In a way the effect of these modifications are similar to placement
of a wildcard in top-level domains. Although wildcard labels in top-
   level domains lead to problems that are described elsewhere [Advs]
   they do not strictly violate the DNS protocol.  This is not the case
   for the above example where the modification of answers takes place
   in the middle of the path between authoritative servers and the stub
   resolvers that provide the answers to applications.
   [RFC2826] section 1.3 states:
      Both the design and implementations of the DNS protocol are
      heavily based on the assumption that there is a single owner or
maintainer for every domain, and that any set of resources records associated with a domain is modified in a single-copy serializable
      fashion.
   In particular the DNSSEC protocol [RFC4035] has been designed to
   verify that DNS information has not been modified between the moment
   they have been published on an authoritative server and the moment
the validation takes place. Since that verification can take place at the application level, any modification by a recursive forwarder will
   cause validation failures.

On a similar but slightly different topic: We also send out a comment to the relevant ICANN committee about the proposal to ad a wildcard to the travel TLD. (Should appear on the correspondence area of the IAB site shortly).

I think it may be a good idea to also create an IAB document that documents all these DNS issues that have to do with namespace tricks. The IAB comment on Sitefinder [1] could act as the core of that document. I'd be happy to work with a few volunteers to make that fly.

--Olaf Kolkman

[1] http://www.iab.org/documents/docs/2003-09-20-dns-wildcards.html

Olaf M. Kolkman
NLnet Labs