Re: [Nea] UPDATED: WG Review: Network Endpoint Assessment (nea)

2006-10-24 10:17:41
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
From: Keith Moore [mailto:moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu]

that's my understanding also. but nothing you said here contradicts my statement. if connection of the host to the network is predicated on having the host conform to whatever arbitrary policy the network wishes to impose on how the host is configured, then it's unreasonable.

So what if it is unreasonable.

My network, my rules. If you don't like them go to the nearest Panera and use
their free WiFi.

If you want to connect to my network, my rules apply. That's not arbitrary,
that's my right and my choice.

I'm unclear on what host requirements NEA is proposing to add.
The reality is that I have about 2 giant corporations to choose
from for Internet connectivity where I live.  I don't want either
one of them installing mandatory software on my computers that
denies access to the Internet if any "unapproved" applications
are found.  I would rather decide which applications I get to run,
and if the ISP chooses to firewall certain protocols, then fine.

Andy