Re: WG Review: Recharter of Internet Emergency Preparedness (ieprep)

2006-11-02 14:25:04
On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, James M. Polk wrote:
Having looked at the output of the WG,
it already seems to include a couple of useful framework documents and
about 4 requirements documents.

the framework RFCs are for within a single public domain.  The other RFCs are
requirements based.

There is no architecture guidelines docs or peering guidelines or the like.

I guess by 'architecture guidelines' you refer to inter-domain
guidelines as the framework RFCs already seem to deal at least to some
extent with a single domain.  If you don't, you may mean something
that operators would use.  It's not clear if one-size-fits-all
guidelines could be made, or if this would be right place to try to
seek it.

Is there already sufficient experience of getting multi-domain work?
AFAICS, this hasn't generally been considered an easily solvable
problem at an operational level.

Peering guidelines likely don't belong to the IETF, or has there been
successful precendent for that kind of work in the past?  (I could say
some examples, but I don't think those were very succesful, and those
were from OPS area)

Even if this work was in the scope of IETF, at least these two seem
more like subjects to be pursued in the Ops&Mgmt area.

This should already provide
sufficient information how to continue the work.

continue the work.... where? by who? by another SDO?  Why?

Other SDOs if they're willing.  Organizations that actually want to
deploy this stuff (if those exist in sufficient degree).  Vendors who
want to push for this stuff.  That is to say -- is there enough
deployment (and understanding what works and is deployable and what
isn't) to justify more IETF work on the subject _right now_ ?

Overprovisioning and intra-domain TE seems to have been a popular approach,

in which IEPREP doc was "Overprovisioning" and "intra-domain TE " discussed?

draft-ietf-ieprep-domain-frame-07.txt, RFC4190, RFC43745 to name a
few.

but apart from that, where has this been  deployed and how?

Maybe we should let ITU, vendors, and/or deploying organizations to
apply the existing techniques

What "techniques" have been defined?

The framework documents talk a lot about certain kinds of DSCP PHBs,
mappings between PSTN and VoIP, a particular end-to-end priority
field, MPLS-like traffic engineering, access-controls to prevent
DoSing priority treatment, active queue management techniques, drop
priority techniques, etc. -- this already seems to be a significant
toolbox.  It is not clear to me to what extent these have been used
and do the job set out for IEPREP.  And if not, is the lack of use due
to people solving the problem in other ways (or not at all) rather
than the lack of mechanisms?