Re: WG Review: Recharter of Internet Emergency Preparedness (ieprep)

2006-11-09 14:25:42
no,it's quite a bit more than that.

So let's take the canonical hypothetical case. Nuclear-tipped pointy- end-of-the-spear things are coming over the horizon and one of a very small number of people (the president, a theatre commander, etc) needs to send a message to a larger-but-well-defined group of people (the set that wear 3-or-more stars perhaps plus certain civil authorities) that says "execute plan Z". This is the kind of thing that needs to be delivered within a few minutes to all concerned, and "I didn't get the email" and "but POP3 only polls every 15 minutes" aren't very good responses. A system used to exist that did this using some combination of telex machines and privates whose entire job in the military was to watch said machines for action, rip the message off, and put it in front of the intended recipient instantly regardless of what it took to do so. I'm told that it is now done using a certain commonly-deployed SMTP mail system.

Stepping a bit away from apocalyptic scenarios, there are other groups of people and far less dramatic scenarios to consider.

Now ask yourself how you would solve this. First, there has to be some form of trust system in which when an authorized person wants to send one of these messages all of the systems along the way are going to recognize that authority. In the military, that's easy - everyone knows what a "commander in chief" is. In the civilian sector, it becomes a matter of transitive trust - "I think so-and-so is authorized and you should too" across an administrative boundary of some sort. It requires some way to say in the email that the person is authorized to assert the status, assert the status, and provide appropriate credentials to allow the recipient MTA (because each MTA will have to do something about this) to verify the identity and apply the relevant policy. As with any email system, the big delays are the queues in the MTAs - what happens if a SYN is lost? we resend in an hour, four hours, tomorrow, and the next day, right? We need to resend in 30 seconds, perhaps, and if mumble time units elapse without successful delivery we need to initiate a response to the sender indicating that s/he should try another communication channel while we continue to retry this one. And oh by the way, there might be network bandwidth available to traffic of this category that we need to appropriately take advantage of.

Who do you want doing all of this? Not me, I'll betcha. I could contribute to the architecture, but there are security issues, SMTP issues, system-engineering (as in "use SMTP on the last hop" or "set POP/IMAP to poll every ten seconds") issues to address, and so on that you really want the experts in those areas addressing.

Those experts aren't in the ITU, and the ITU at this point doesn't have the expertise to even say what was said in my long paragraph above. Hand ieprep off to the ITU and one of two things will happen: (a) they will try to analyze the problem and get it wrong, or (b) they will send us a liaison saying "please go think about this". Good grief. We need to collectively go think about this. Let's not bury our heads in the sand and pretend we're the wrong people for the job.

I do believe that having a requirements-generating working group is a good thing. A point of frustration has been that in trying to discuss the matter around the IETF, we have our meetings and then have to not only convince other working groups to go solve them but convince each individual person in each individual working group that it has to be addressed. In tsvwg, for example, I developed solutions that were discussed in ieprep for over a year, moved to tsvwg and discussed there for over a year, ieprep in November 2003 formally told its ADs that they should accept the INFORMATIONAL DRAFT that described them, that waited for over another year, and was finally last called - and published as an RFC just a few months ago. When the only way to get anything accomplished is to threaten an appeal over management incompetence or obstinacy (neither of which I would like to believe were actually the case, but yes the appeal was threatened and only subsequently did glacial action start to happen). Excuse me, but that is not a good example of "rough consensus and running code". We need a means by which we can do something about these problems that includes the right community of experts and doesn't involve waiting to see who gets exhausted last.