Re: WG Review: Recharter of Internet Emergency Preparedness (ieprep)

2006-11-06 10:24:46
On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Fred Baker wrote:
I have to say that my discussions with US DoD and DHS/NCS, and with their
counterparts in other countries, doesn't suggest that the set of technical
mechanisms is all specified. If we're looking only at voice, it is maybe so,
but they're not looking only at voice. Questions abound around the mechanisms
for sending an email and ensuring that it is delivered in a stated time
interval on the order of minutes or that an indication of failure is returned
to the sender, and other things.

Which seems to be an indication that even if this is pursued in the
IETF, RAI area seems like a wrong place.  The better one would
probably be Ops&Mgmt if there is general requirements gathering /
framework work to be done.

However, it's not obvious whether this is necessarily the right thing
to do in the IETF or in this manner.  It looks ieprep was chartered
around IETF 53, and the deliverables were to be complete in 2002.
Some of that work was completed relatively quick, some has taken a lot
longer -- being still under evalution.  Initial charter also included
'recommendations' but it's not clear to me what happened with that.

It's not clear whether going on this way will achieve useful results
in a useful amount of time.