Re: How confidential is the information we share with the Nomcom?

2006-11-07 00:00:33
At 06:59 PM 11/5/2006, Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
Confidentiality and the Nomcom has always been an interesting topic to me. Some want everything to be secretive. I think that the more stuff we try to keep secret the harder it is. Personally, the holy grail is potential negative feedback the community may want to provide to the nomcom. In some instances that feedback has been used to unseat someone and in other cases just to be packaged as feedback to the I* member in question. If we lose the potential to get/give negative feedback without possible repercussions, more people are willing to share such opinions. That's the objective anyway.

It might be worthwhile for the community to know the feedback is known to

* the voting members of the nomcom
* nomcom current and past year's chair
* the 3 liaison members
* the tools team  (some of them are IETF contributors)

Correction: Apparently, the feedback cannot be seen by the tools team. What they do know is who nominated whom. That still concerns me, of course.

I apologize if this was seen as a misrepresentation of the facts. The way I see it though is that the process and the mechanisms were not discussed within the community. Conventional wisdom says that security protocols/mechanisms designed without proper peer review tend to be broken. A few people I have spoken to seem to think that the notion of the tools team knowing who nominated whom is not acceptable,

All told however, based on the traffic related to this thread, the community does not seem to quite care about who knows what was said in the nomcom, generally speaking. Is that the case?

regards,
Lakshminath

* whoever maintains the nomcom list archives
* ???

Frankly the feedback does not need to seen by anyone other than the voting members IMO. What do others think?

thanks,
Lakshminath