Re: WG Review: Recharter of Internet Emergency Preparedness (ieprep)

2006-11-15 18:43:03
"Fred" == Fred Baker <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> writes:

    Fred> The remaining requirements, as I understand them, relate to
    Fred> more traditional internet applications: the delivery of
    Fred> email within a stated interval, reliable file transfer at a
    Fred> stated rate in the presence of imperfect links and competing
    Fred> traffic deemed by the administration to be of lower
    Fred> importance, instant messaging, and so on.

    Fred> What is the argument by which you come to believe that
    Fred> traditional internet transports and applications that are
    Fred> standardized in the IETF are properly moved to other
    Fred> standards bodies?

Fred, first I've argued all along that the standardization of IETF
protocols belonged in the IETF.

As this discussion has moved along, it has become clear that I simply
do not understand the work being proposed.  That only really hit me
with this message, although I've had a growing suspician that I'm
failing to understand the charter for about a week.

I really appreciate your efforts to show me that.  I'd like to work
with you and the chairs to help understand what ieprep proposes to do.
I'm likely to claim at the end of that discussion that the current
charter's scope is unclear and to try and propose more clear text.

I still do have major reservations about ieprep.  Perhaps some of
those will go away as we discuss what the group is doing.

For IESG process reasons, I need to enter a position tonight or
tomorrow that is a superset of any formal objection I will have.  I
can remove objections though and will be happy to work with you to do
that.

I appreciate your continued help in understanding this issue.