Re: SRV records considered dubious (was: Re: DNS Choices: Was: [ietf-dkim] Re: Last Call: 'DomainKeys)

2006-11-21 21:21:37

DNS is getting very long in the tooth, and is entirely too inflexible
and too fragile.  The very fact that we're having a discussion about
whether it makes more sense to add a new RR type or use TXT records with
DKIM is a clear indicator that something seriously is wrong with DNS.
Adding a new RR type should not require a single line of DNS server or
client library code to be recompiled, nor any changes to the
configuration of any server not advertising such records.

        No.  It just means that the people spreading FUD have succeeded.

        RFC 3597 (2003) formalised the handling of unknown RR types
        and classes.  The first draft was written in 2000 and it
        described treating unknown RR's as opaque data blobs.

        RFC 2535 (1999) (DNSSEC) depended upon unknown RR types being
        being treated as opaque blobs.  While it didn't explictly ban
        the use of compression pointers in new types it was known not
        to use compression in new RR types.

        RFC 1035 even attempted to get unknown RR's treated as
        opaque data blobs.  Unfortunately the description of where
        compression could be used was flawed.

        I really don't know why we are arguing about this anymore.
        Adding new RR's has not been a real issue this millenia.

        Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org