Re: Something better than DNS?

2006-11-27 03:04:50
Peter Dambier wrote, On 23/11/2006 19:01:
DNS is broken since people started disallowing AXFR transfers.
DNS is no longer about publishing information about hostnames and numbers
but about keeping this information a seecret.

Not sure I understand your point. You query a record, you get an answer.
Why on earth would you want to suck all the world's zone files ?

In addition DNS is designed with a single one root scope. So if you
have to deal with chinese, arab and russian namespaces then DNS probably
is not the right choice :)

Agree. Add to that the current architecture does not allow competition
at the TLD level. There can only be one registry for any given TLD,
leading to artificial scarcity and lack of consumer choice.

Pekka Savola wrote:
 2) what requirements we should have for building and deploying it?
    (if such a thing or a close likeness doesn't exist)

Aside from the technical requirements to return reliable answers to
queries, it should also make it possible to have multiple registries for
the same TLD and and shield the Internet community from possible
political interference on the root. A possible design is CoDNS
(http://www.cs.cornell.edu/people/egs/beehive/codons.php).

Patrick Vande Walle