Re: Something better than DNS?

2006-11-23 11:07:05
DNS is broken since people started disallowing AXFR transfers.

DNS is no longer about publishing information about hostnames and numbers
but about keeping this information a seecret.

So not using DNS at all and distributing host files is much better than
DNS and more reliable :)

On the other hand, in good old /etc/hosts days you could always reverse
query and get all aliases to every ip address. E.g. NIS still works like
that. And NIS has mostly the same bells and whistles DNS has, like MX
records and unimaginable additional record types.

In addition DNS is designed with a single one root scope. So if you
have to deal with chinese, arab and russian namespaces then DNS probably
is not the right choice :)

If ISPs were not starting to block port 53 DNS the I would guess somebody
will come up with a totally new idea and implement this using the port
53 DNS interface but even bonjour/rendezvous work with a port different
from 53.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin