Re: IM and Presence history

2006-11-28 09:09:43

John C Klensin wrote:
Yes.  I wanted to keep the note from becoming even longer, but...

ack. figured that, but found myself compelled that the history lesson was useful for the record.

If I came in through an arpanet dial-up at some random place
on the net, and telneted to my home system, then the finger
for that home system would show me as 'present'.  I am not
seeing how today's presence systems are fudamentally different
from that.

Subjectively and from my perspective, the present systems
"feel", and sometimes actually are, much more distributed.  But,
yes, from the perspective you describe, we have advanced very
little in terms of basic functionality.

I believe that none of the proprietary IMs is anything other than purely centralized.

Having to configure multiple IM accounts, to be able to talk to different people, doesn't feel at all 'distributed' to me, except in the bad sense of multiple, disconnected, centralized services.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking