Re: SMTP compared to IM (Re: DNS Choices: Was: [ietf-dkim] Re: Last Call: 'DomainKeys)

2006-11-22 09:13:52

Harald Alvestrand wrote:
There were no alternatives to SMTP on an IP network until
Instant Messaging came along.

not since X.400 over X.25 died, no. I thought you were older than that....

And there were all of the individual providers that Michael cited, such as MCI Mail.

>>> but can be seen in IM, and may likely show up in other forms of
>>> communication.  Much of this is simply the nature of software.
>>
>> It has nothing to do with software and everything to do
>> with architecture. IM networks have less problems because
>> all the participants share a relationship with the IM
>> service providers.

It *is* interesting that the diversity of disconnected email services was viewed as a basic problem to solve, whereas most of the Internet user community does not seem to feel the same pressure to unify IM.

Hmmm. Maybe IM satisfies a different set of needs than does email. So we had better be a bit cautious about trying to generalize implications between them.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking