Re: The IESG Approved the Expansion of the AS Number Registry

2006-11-30 04:09:04
Hi,

On Nov 29, 2006, at 12:52 PM, william(at)elan.net wrote:
I did not see any consensus on that issue when it was brought to NANOG-m.
Interesting. I didn't notice any support for separating the 32-bit quantity into two sections, but I remember many people decrying the need for any separator at all.
I'd have to look at archive but I was not left with impression that people were against it rather they were noting changes that would have to be made.

Obviously, 32-bit ASNs are 32 bit binary values and could be represented in an infinite number of ways. IANA has chosen to use the textual convention documented in draft-michaelson-4byte-as- representation-02 for the expansion of the ASN registry found at http://www.iana.org/assignments/as-numbers since, as that draft mentions:

This notation has been informally adopted by at least one vendor, and
   used consistently in presentations in the Regional Internet Registry
   (RIR) community towards the deployment of 4-byte AS numbers.

Rgds,
-drc