Re: WG Review: Recharter of Internet Emergency Preparedness (ieprep)

2006-12-01 03:58:26
Brian,
1. There's a presumption that "precedence" and "preemption" are the
mechanisms - but those aren't requirements, they are solutions, and
it isn't clear to me that they can ever be appropriate solutions
in the upper layers of the Internet. The requirement is presumably
that important application level sessions succeed in emergency situations,
even if less important ones fail. The best way to meet that
requirement might be different for each type of application
protocol. Neither the charter text nor the list of deliverables
recognizes such differentiation; they simply assume that precedence
and preemption are the only possible solutions.

Forgive me a naive question but what is there other than precedence or preemption?

Eliot