Tracking resolution of DISCUSSes [Was: When is a DISCUSS really a discussion?]

2007-01-06 08:58:57
As often, Spencer speaks sense.

By the way, would it be possible for all DISCUSSes and COMMENTs for I-Ds originated by a working group to be *automatically* copied to the mailing list of the working group? The reasons are:
- the WG chairs, editors, and interested parties should
  not have to monitor the I-D tracker to spot them
- there is otherwise no automatic archiving of the
  follow-up discussions
- it can often be hard to tell from the record
 how/if/why a DISCUSS was cleared (the entries in
 the I-D tracker do not usually show this information)
- the WG has an obvious interest in the follow-up
  discussions
- if the discussions result in changes to the I-D the
 WG really needs to be kept in the loop

Not sure who should own this, but typically ADs have told me that it is "not necessary". (The I-D tracker has a Web page for making suggestions, so I have pasted this email there.)

Cheers,
Adrian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Spencer Dawkins" <spencer(_at_)mcsr-labs(_dot_)org>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 10:09 PM
Subject: When is a DISCUSS really a discussion?

and, now for something completely different ...

One thing I've noticed in sitting quietly and typing IESG telechat narrative minutes is that a DISCUSS is a living thing.

- Sometimes a DISCUSS starts out as "this can't be right", and morphs into "the working group really thinks it's OK to blow off congestion and security".

- Sometimes a single AD's DISCUSS text changes - maybe more than once. So to talk about "<insert name here>'s DISCUSS on ip-over-hamsters" isn't always precise.

- Sometimes a DISCUSS starts out as a really big DISCUSS, that becomes a big COMMENT and a short DISCUSS. There are IESG members who challenge specific points of a DISCUSS - not sure I've heard all of them do it, but it's pretty common.

- Sometimes a COMMENT becomes a DISCUSS because another DISCUSS becomes a COMMENT. Sometimes a DISCUSS becomes a COMMENT because the AD couldn't cast the 11th DISCUSS on one document ("not a good use of AD time").

There are certainly other paths through the maze to the cheese, but you get my drift.

So, what I would suggest is that people stop stroking out about the (amazingly high) number of documents that collect DISCUSS ballots, and focus on documents that don't clear DISCUSS in two (or some other small number of) telechat cycles.

Or some other metric. But just because you get a DISCUSS, doesn't mean you have a problem that takes more than a few minutes to work out. You may, but that's where we should focus.

What follows is from a little more than a year of IESG telechat narrative scribing. It does not follow the ID tracker state machine, I'm just trying to explain what I hear on the telechats.

The way it usually works is, Amy says, "there are X DISCUSS ballots, <insert AD's name here>, do we need to DISCUSS them today?", and the lucky AD says one of a few things:

- "no, the DISCUSSes are clear and actionable, and I agree with the concerns", or

- "yes", but the ADs talk and figure out that the point of concern is not a real concern at all, so the DISCUSSing AD clears, or

- "yes", but the ADs talk and figure out what the real issue is, and how to solve it, usually terminating in "if that happens, I'll clear my DISCUSS" (note that the sponsoring AD usually asks the DISCUSSing AD to hold the DISCUSS until it's addressed, just so the sponsoring AD doesn't misplace it - this isn't a lack of trust), or

- "yes", but the ADs talk and say the issue is real and the working group needs to make some decisions (the ADs do suggest RFC-Editor notes on calls, but this isn't common and isn't usually more than two or three lines of text), so the document goes for AD followup, or

- (and this doesn't happen often), the ADs don't work out a path forward, either before the call (ADs do talk), during the call, or after the call, and the document continues in DISCUSS status.

It would be lovely if our documents were so good, and our working groups were so good, and our ADs were so good, that there was never a DISCUSS. Until that happens, I'm OK with most of the interactions that happen on the telechat, and I suspect others would be, too.

But I'd like to focus on the documents that just hang. There are some. They aren't a large percentage of the documents that appear on each telechat agenda.

So, if we could agree on a metric (and the IESG has LOTS of metrics now), that might be helpful.

Thanks,

Spencer

p.s. The Narrative Minutes for telechats are not a deep, dark secret, and have been available at http://www.ietf.org/IESG/iesg-narrative.html for about a year. Linked from the IESG home page, one click down from the IETF home page. If you think they are useful, please say so - and then volunteer as a scribe, because Brian has been asking for more volunteers for a while now. If you think they are not useful, Brian, and his replacement, would love to know that, because both Marshall and I have things we aren't doing, because we're scribing for the IESG.