Re: Tracking resolution of DISCUSSes

2007-01-07 18:04:38
"Adrian Farrel" <adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:

By the way, would it be possible for all DISCUSSes and COMMENTs for
I-Ds originated by a working group to be *automatically* copied to the
mailing list of the working group? The reasons are:
- the WG chairs, editors, and interested parties should
  not have to monitor the I-D tracker to spot them
- there is otherwise no automatic archiving of the
  follow-up discussions
- it can often be hard to tell from the record
 how/if/why a DISCUSS was cleared (the entries in
 the I-D tracker do not usually show this information)
- the WG has an obvious interest in the follow-up
  discussions
- if the discussions result in changes to the I-D the
 WG really needs to be kept in the loop

I agree, something along those steps seems quite useful.  My
experience is that not all of the people who have an interest in a
document reads and thinks about DISCUSS/COMMENT's.  In some cases, I
recall that COMMENTs were not even forwarded to me as document author,
I had to find them in the I-D tracker myself.  I think this has
changed now, but doing what you suggest would go even further to make
sure that the IESG comments are widely seen and thought about.

/Simon