Re: Tracking resolution of DISCUSSes

2007-01-08 03:12:20
The I-D tracker provides a handy button for the DISCUSSing AD
to forward the DISCUSS to parties outside the IESG - normally
by default it's the WG Chairs. I'm not convinced personally
that sending the raw DISCUSS to the whole WG is the correct answer.
Sometimes it can be quickly resolved (for example if it's a technical
typo, or a simple misconception by the discussing AD). Other times,
it definitely does need WG discussion. I think it's best to leave
this in the hands of the WG chairs to decide case-by-case.

   Brian

On 2007-01-08 08:08, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
Agreement, but niggles....

As Spencer has noted, a DISCUSS often passes through several iterations from the time a concern is raised to the time it's clear what has to be discussed with the WG. I think it would make the IESG's work more difficult if every iteration of such DISCUSSes were copied to the WG.

If formulated as a notification at a convenient place in the procedure, for instance "1 day after a telechat, the current status of all ballots discussed that still have DISCUSSes get copied to the WG", I think it would be more useful than "the WG gets copies of every iteration".

As a completely random example, draft-ietf-ipv6-over-ppp-v2-02 currently has 2 DISCUSSes. The tracker log shows 4 entered DISCUSSes (some revisions) and 6 COMMENTs - 10 mails to the WG mailing list seems excessive, while 1 mail seems more likely to be seen as useful.

                   Harald