Re: Tracking resolution of DISCUSSes

2007-01-12 08:11:47
Hi Frank,

on 2007-01-12 15:37 Frank Ellermann said the following:
Henrik Levkowetz wrote:

Hi, do you mean s/Chair/AD/ here ?

No.  The way I see it, Shepherd 'write' rights would be a subset of the
Chair rights, which will be a subset of the AD rights.

Why should WG Chairs - if they're not proto-shepherds - have write access
on the I-D tracker at all ?  A proto-shepherd needs similar access rights
as a "traditional" shepherd - minus posting the approval on the announce
list.

You're looking at this from the perspective of the document shepherding
only.  The chair access to the tracker is about more than this.  The best
is probably to point to the draft regarding this proposed extension of the
tracker:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-proto-wgchair-tracker-ext

(There's a snapshot of the current working copy available too, which has some
changes based on recent discussion on the proto and wgchairs lists:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/proto/draft-ietf-proto-wgchair-tracker-ext/draft-ietf-proto-wgchair-tracker-ext-02.b.txt
 )

 Probably I'm just confused, that's how I understood the concept so
far:

Normally the responsible AD (one of the area ADs) is the shepherd.  One of
the WG Chairs can be nominated as proto shepherd (the Chairs toss a coin
or similar).  If the responsible AD doesn't want to delegate this task he
or she is the shepherd, and there's no problem with write access right.

Otherwise the nominated Chair is the proto shepherd and needs write access
for certain actions (enter last call, post questionnaire, initiate ballot,
etc.)  But not participate in the ballot, and not post the approval.

Right.  Those are restricted actions.

With that I'd get "Chair rights" as subset of "proto shepherd rights", not
the other way around.  Actually I get no "Chair rights" at all appart from
read access like everybody else.

Right, except for the broader perspective when you regard chair tasks
outside of shepherding.

        Henrik