Re: Tracking resolution of DISCUSSes

2007-01-09 05:47:32
"Adrian Farrel" <adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:

But note that the current version of the tracker does not raise the
DISCUSS with anyone. It simply logs it.

I agree, and think this is an important observation.

This lack of communication may cause friction.  IESG members raise
issues, which ends up the tracker, and for which they might not
receive any response at all on.  They may get the impression that the
document author is inactive and not following up on problems raised
(at least I would get that impression if I were preparing comments on
others' document).  The document author instead wonders why no
comments or questions are generated by the IESG evaluation process.

Having notification for these issues may avoid some of that friction,
and would lead to better documents.  I am inclined to agree with
Harald that excessive notifications, for every DISCUSS/COMMENT may be
annoying.  On the other hand, for most WG's, sending a document to the
IESG is an important step, and any feedback from that process should
be important and valuable.  Anyway, reducing the number of e-mails by
waiting a week or two before compiling a message with all
DISCUSS/COMMENTS seems like a good idea.

Btw, I personally first discovered the I-D tracker when I was revising
a document that had failed IETF last call before, and found
COMMENT/DISCUSS for my earlier document, which I had not been aware of
before.  I believe taking care of those COMMENT/DISCUSS'es helped the
document pass the second IETF last call.

But regardless of this, I am concerned that the resolution of a
DISCUSS is not archived anywhere. If you want to restrict the DISCUSS
from reaching the WG unless the WG chair decides, then you MUST log
the resolution (not just the fact of reslution) of each DISCUSS in the
I-D tracker.

It would be good to log resolutions, yes.  If for no other reasons,
someone who reads the I-D tracker history for a document may wonder
what the answer to a particular question was.

/Simon