Re: Tracking resolution of DISCUSSes

2007-01-15 07:28:46
Hi Brian,

If an AD modifies their DISCUSS text, or moves a DISCUSS to a COMMENT,
all that is in the tracker.

Yes. I agree. *If*.
Some ADs are very good about this. (Shall I name names? ;-)
But some are less good.
Often a Discuss is just cleared.

What isn't there is the email trail.
Are you suggesting we should consider capturing all relevant email
threads in the tracker?

Summary is OK in the I-D tracker.

I feel that the email thread would be good to have on a WG mailing list. I don't feel that the email folders on my laptop is the best place to archive these discussions.

Having some experience of RT which does exactly that, I frankly doubt
the value except for archaeologists. But I suppose it could be done,
e.g. by opening an RT ticket for each thread and linking it into the
I-D tracker.

Too heavy? Too much process?

Why not simply:
- copy all Comments and Discusses to the WG mailing list
- hold all discussions on the WG mailing list until resolution
- update the Discuss or Comment in the tracker to show the
  resolution