Re: Tracking resolution of DISCUSSes

2007-01-15 03:24:51
On 2007-01-08 11:08, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
The I-D tracker provides a handy button for the DISCUSSing AD
to forward the DISCUSS to parties outside the IESG - normally
by default it's the WG Chairs. I'm not convinced personally
that sending the raw DISCUSS to the whole WG is the correct answer.
Sometimes it can be quickly resolved (for example if it's a technical
typo, or a simple misconception by the discussing AD). Other times,
it definitely does need WG discussion. I think it's best to leave
this in the hands of the WG chairs to decide case-by-case.

   Brian

The IESG has talked about this a bit (by email) and I think
I'd summarise informally by saying

a) we believe that it is indeed the document shepherd's
job to summarise issues and take them back to the WG, as
stated in section 3.3 of draft-ietf-proto-wgchair-doc-shepherding.

b) this doesn't remove the need for as much transparency
and tracking of issues as is practical, via the tracker,
email archives, or whatever tools work best.

    Brian